Thursday, October 1, 2009

Harry Reid's Doing Good So Far, But I Know He Can Do Even Better

Heh. I love how Harry Reid takes the nasty attacks on him and turns it back on the Republicans. Yeah, yeah, I know political games are being played. But come on, at least our senior Senator is actually doing something to help us.

Still, I hope he'll do even more to help us by exposing the Senators blocking a chance for us to choose a public option and by working with good Senators like Tom Harkin to ensure the full Senate can vote to approve a health care reform bill with a solid public option.

Dear Friend,

Throughout all my years of public service, I've never apologized for standing up for Nevada. And with far too many of our citizens out of work, our economy in recession, and middle-class families concerned about their future - I'm not about to start now.

When I reviewed the health care bill currently moving through the Senate and discovered that the expanded Medicaid costs were going to hammer Nevada at a time when we can least afford it, I took action. Republicans who are attacking me for looking out for our state need to get their story straight, and stop trying to score political points at the expense of a health insurance reform effort that's brought us as close as ever to finally fixing our broken system.

As the New York Times reported, it's my position that Medicaid in Nevada has been tragically under-funded. Forcing our state to pay drastically more to accomplish reform now would only exacerbate that burden, putting health care for those that need it most - at risk. I did it in this bill, I've done it in the past, and I'd do it again tomorrow, next week, or next year. Protecting the people of Nevada is the reason I go to work every day, and that's never going to change.

Nevada has had the highest home foreclosure rate in the entire country for 31 months in a row. You and I know, it's just common sense that when the people of your state are struggling, you fight as hard as you can to help.

So in coming days you may see the pundits and partisans ranting and raving on cable TV about my work for Nevada in the Senate, but I will never apologize for standing up on behalf of the Silver State.

All the best,



Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment