“We are in a healthcare crisis, and the burden it is placing on families and businesses in Nevada must be lifted. That is why I will vote for health reform legislation this weekend.
“While not perfect, this bill addresses key obstacles that continue to plague the system. The cost of healthcare premiums is skyrocketing out of control, creating an atmosphere where only insurance companies can and will prosper and prevail. Without this reform, our individual citizens and businesses will continue to be devastated by unsustainable costs or barriers to coverage.
“Reforming the broken healthcare system is a critical element in our nation’s economic recovery. Healthcare costs must be controlled, access to coverage must be expanded and the quality of coverage for those who are currently covered must be improved. No one with or without health insurance should be forced into bankruptcy because of medical bills, or worry they will not be covered if they lose or change their jobs.
And let's not forget this:
Key healthcare reform benefits for Nevada’s First Congressional District:
• Extend coverage to 155,500 uninsured residents.
• Protect 3,800 families from bankruptcy due to unaffordable healthcare costs.
• Improve Medicare for 90,000 beneficiaries, including closing the donut hole.
• Guarantee that 26,200 residents with pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage.
• Reduce the cost of uncompensated care for hospitals and other healthcare providers by $74
• Give tax credits and other assistance to up to 201,000 families and 16,700 small businesses to
help them afford coverage.
• Allow 63,000 young adults to obtain coverage on their parents’ insurance plans.
Thanks, Shelley! I knew she would do the right thing. :-)