Monday, June 28, 2010

Convention Time!

Moi w/ my favorite Senator @HarryReid #NVDems #p2 #fb on Twitpic

Whoa! Talk about #face2face, @RalstonFlash asking @HarryReid ... on Twitpic

Moi w/ #EllenSpiegel, my fave Assembly Member, @ #NVDems conv... on Twitpic

So on Saturday, we had a convention. Apparently, it attracted quite a bit of attention... Or at least the first half did.

We started off with a speech from Rory Reid on education, jobs, and Nevada's future. He also had some good lines on Brian Sandoval. When we think about it, he really is Jim Gibbons in a better suit.

We also heard some more of the statewide candidates speak. Kate Marshall raised the roof with her speech on job creation. Ross Miller spoke well on Democrats' commitment to social justice and how there's nothing wrong with Nevada we can't solve with what's right about our state.

And then, it was onto the Congressional candidates. Nancy Price spoke about the challenges she faced in her NV-02 race, but also how she's not making excuses and she's not giving up. Shelley Berkley said our state would be out of its collective mind if we were to get rid of Harry Reid. And of course, Dina Titus reminded us just how high the stakes are in this election.

Oh, and did I mention Harry Reid was there?

Oh, and there were plenty of fun and games going on at the convention! OK, so I didn't get elected to E-Board... Whatever. There were good people who won, and who I'm sure will do great things for the party. But oh my, was that a long election or what! We had three rounds of voting, at least four recounts, and dozens of exhausted delegates before we finally got all our eight E-Board members.

And yes, I was elected Nevada State Stonewall Secretary earlier in the morning. So hey, I didn't leave empty handed!

I was also able to catch up with many friends. My favorite Assembly Member, Ellen Spiegel, dropped by to remind us about the importance of state legislature elections this fall. Progress Now Nevada was there to remind us of all the important work they're up to. All of the area Democratic Clubs provided quite the presence there. I was amazed to discover how many friends I actually ran into on Saturday!

And before I go, let's talk about the party platform. Since the platform is supposed to state what the party stands for, it's a pretty important thing. And overall, there wasn't too much controversy to talk about. There was just a bit of a floor fight over inserting medical marijuana into the health care section (it passed), and over the immigration provision (we ended up with a pretty strong section opposing Arizona SB 1070 and similar discriminatory measures).

OK, I think I covered most of the important stuff. If you want to read more about what happened at the convention, read my most recent Twitter updates. I also have even more pictures from the convention up on my Twitpic. All in all, I had a great time, I feel like we accomplished some good things, and I'm feeling all fired up and ready to go for November! :-)

One last sweet farewell to @Sue_Lowden, H/T @ProgressNowNV :-... on Twitpic

@RoryJReid now speaking @ #NVDems convention, firing up crowd... on Twitpic

Scene @ #NVDems, waiting 4 @HarryReid again :-) #p2 #fb on Twitpic

#NVDems crowd in front looks lively to me :-) #nvpolitics #p2... on Twitpic

"You can cut w/ an ax, but you cant build... I'm asking you t... on Twitpic

No comments:

Post a Comment