Thursday, September 17, 2009

NV-01: Thank Shelley Berkley for Standing up for Equality

Sometimes, I don't praise Shelley Berkley enough for doing the right thing. I apologize. I'm usually occupied with tracking the both the great accomplishments and sorry mistakes of Dina Titus. And the rest of the time I'm mostly laughing at Dean Heller's ridiculously stupid comments, so it's easy to forget about NV-01.

But today, I won't. Why? Well, Shelley Berkley did something quite commendable in signing up as an original cosponsor of HR 3567, The Respect for Marriage Act of 2009. If passed, this would repeal DOMA and allow gay & lesbian married couples to access all the 1,138+ federal marital rights and responsibilities.

So today, I'd like to take a break from my usual railing against the typical Beltway cowardice that infects so many in Congress and thank Rep. Shelley Berkley for showing her commitment to LGBT civil rights. She has proven herself to be a true friend of our community and a strong advocate for full equality. Thanks, Ms. Berkley, for doing the right thing.

If you'd like to join me in thanking Shelley Berkley, drop a note of appreciation in her inbox. And if you can afford it, consider donating to her campaign so she can keep fighting for our rights in 2010 and beyond.

Ah, doesn't it feel nice to report some good news for a change? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment