Tuesday, February 2, 2010

NV-03: Dina Titus at Stonewall

(Also at Stonewall)

OK, here's Part 2 of what will be my observations from yesterday's Stonewall Mixer. Let's talk about my second face-to-face interaction with Dina Titus that I've experienced so far in 2010.

First of all, she actually remembered me! Heh. I guess I'm quickly becoming a "familiar fixture" at these types of shindigs. And furthermore, I guess she's realizing I'm a constituent who will be voting later this year... And possibly donating and volunteering, too.

Folks, this is called "leverage". It's good to remind our elected officials who they work for and why they need to listen to us. Dina Titus has occasionally had some "hiccups" while trying to do this, but she's learning quickly and apparently is going great lengths to make amends and reconnect with the progressive Democratic base.

Obviously, going to Stonewall and other Democratic events is a great start.

She also announced that she will be meeting with the Stonewall board to discuss LGBTQ equality issues and what our members want her to do this year. Again, it's important for our electeds to listen to us and be a strong voice for those constituents that are often voiceless. It's glad Dina is now paying attention.

I'm hoping this means she will make sure ENDA gets a vote very soon, and that action on ending DADT will also come shortly. Our civil rights have been on the backburner for far too long, and it's time that more Democrats notice that we want to see results. (And by the way, Harry Reid also noticed... More on that later.)

Oh, and the supposed controversy over "the f-bomb heard around The Beltway"? We all had a good laugh about it. ;-)

Like last month's big BBQ here in Henderson, it seems Dina is getting back to basics and rallying the base in time for November. Good on her. I hope she keeps up the good work and keeps listening to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment