Wednesday, August 10, 2011

NV-Sen: Georgiou's Gone

Well, at least I don't have to complain about endless mindless chatter about that campaign destined to go nowhere. At long last, we're all put out of that misery.

“I continue to believe that my background and experience well qualify me to serve in the Senate,” he said. “However, at this time, I have concluded that I can more effectively contribute to resolution of the serious economic issues facing our state and nation through my work in the private sector.”

[Byron] Georgiou, a Democrat, entered the U.S. Senate race early, shortly after concluding his service on a federal commission that investigated the collapse of the financial industry. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., had appointed him to that panel.

But shortly after his announcement, Berkley decided to enter the race as well and Reid threw his full support behind her.

After Berkley’s entry in the race, Reid publicly criticized Georgiou, saying he regretted appointing him to the commission.

Georgiou, who had lent his campaign $1 million from his personal fortune, then encountered serious fundraising challenges, raising just $140,000 last quarter.

Still, Georgiou vowed to stay in the race, appearing uncowed by Reid’s roadblocks.

As recently as this month, Georgiou spoke of the possibility of running as a non-partisan candidate, which would have freed him from a primary against Berkley.

It's over. It's finally over. And I'm sure the recent PPP poll had a part in ending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment