Friday, April 19, 2013

2nd Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Now IN CUSTODY

Over the course of today, we've been learning more about the main suspects in the Boston Marathon Attack. Now, we can finally say both of them have been captured. One was caught dead... And the other has just been caught alive.

Boston Mayor Tom Menino tweeted “We got him,” along with a photo of the police commissioner speaking to him.

During a long night of violence Thursday into Friday, the brothers killed an MIT police officer, severely wounded another lawman and hurled explosives at police in a car chase and gun battle, authorities said.

The suspects were identified by law enforcement officials and family members as Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, ethnic Chechen brothers who had lived in Dagestan, which neighbors Chechnya in southern Russia. They had been in the U.S. for about a decade, an uncle said, and were believed to be living in Cambridge, Mass.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a 26-year-old who had been known to the FBI as Suspect No. 1 and was seen in surveillance footage of the marathon in a black baseball cap, was killed overnight, officials said. His younger brother, who had been dubbed Suspect No. 2 and was seen wearing a white, backward baseball cap in the images from Monday’s deadly bombing — escaped and was on the run.

Their uncle in Maryland, Ruslan Tsarni, pleaded on live television: “Dzhokhar, if you are alive, turn yourself in and ask for forgiveness.”

And just minutes ago, we saw this.

The capture of Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev triggered an outpouring of seemingly pent-up emotions among residents here who took to cheering, applauding, and clapping as the long blue line of police and troopers left the city they had shut down as they hunted Tsarnaev.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is now in custody. Apparently, the investigation is still very active. But now, one main suspect is in police custody while the other is dead.

We'll continue updating the blog this weekend as more information comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment