Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Long Time Coming... But Welcome Aboard, Mr. President.

It happened. It finally happened.


In an interview with ABC News, Obama said, “I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

The ABC appearance followed several days of amped-up pressure on Obama to change his stance on same-sex marriage after Vice President Biden and members of Obama’s Cabinet expressed their support for legalized marriage between same-sex couples.

More from Obama, from an ABC transcript:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

Welcome to the arc of justice, Mr. President. It may have taken you a while, but I'm glad you're now here.

And it feels that much more poignant that this is happening just as I arrive in Southern California. I was here when Prop 8 passed. Despite the wonderfully historic moment we saw when Obama was first elected President, it was simultaneously a very ugly moment in time for those of us in California when the marriage ban here passed. How on earth could we simultaneously go forward and go back?

Now, it finally feels like we're coming around full circle. We're obviously nowhere near full equality yet, but at least we're one step closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment